As a marketer and business writer, my first job is not writing but planning and preparing.
Here’s the Process of Working Together
I always answer these questions in client meetings and thought it might be useful to add to my website.
1–Once we’ve agreed on the project scope, the Letter of Agreement is signed and you send me 50% of the project fee for a deposit.
After that, the first order of business is planning and preparing.
Non writers are often surprised at the amount of research writers do.
Here’s why writers research.
It helps define and refine a target idea about who you’re writing to and what drives them crazy.
If you can touch on those “hot button” issues in your copy and show how you solve those problems with the product/solution you’re selling…well, you may have a winner on your hands. Without knowing who you’re writing to, you pretty tough to write anything of value. And the better you know the market, the better your writing will be.
Here’ s a Peek Into My Writing Process:
- Interview you for background and the right messaging. – While some clients have a better handle on this than others it’s always a valuable exercise. You know your business far better than anyone on the outside can and I often pick up valuable nuggets that can be turned into copy or at least insights into the company culture.
- Read your current website and marketing collateral I can get my hands on – brochures, ebooks, blogs, etc. it’s all a window into your market.
- Research your competition. What are they saying? How is your product/service different from theirs?
- Research your target market – reading LinkedIn groups/forums, search on Twitter hashtags to find out what people are talking about. (Even if I know the market pretty well, I always do some component of this)
- Keyword research – using software tools like PowerSEO, Wordtracker and Google Keyword Planner, I put in keyword terms to narrow it down the topics, find the most searched for keyword phrases with good but not insane competition and create a keyword strategy for the website (if needed). Sometimes clients are working with a great web development company that had done a bang up keyword analysis that they pass on to me. I LOVE that! I think it’s happened twice.
Using all of this accumulated knowledge, I frame out the project.
For SEO Writing
If I’m rewriting/optimizing your website so you can increase your traffic and conversions, I analyze the keyword research and assign terms to different pages on your website in alignment with your targeted prospect.
That’s 5 steps before I start writing.
Each webpage needs to have unique meta titles and descriptions so I write the pages with the relevant terms in mind.
I let it sit (a day or two is ideal) do some more research and rewrite.
Then it’s sit off to you, the client, for review.
Next, we can jump on the phone to go over any changes or you can use the edit function in your software program to make revisions and send back to me.
I turn around the revisions, you review again and off they go to your web team for implementation.
If you think about it, you probably take as many steps before you start on a project too. You just don’t think about it because you’ve done it so many times.You have a process inherent in your knowledge for accomplishing a task. So do I.
You can contact me here for help with your writing tasks.
How Gain MASSIVE Visibility! in Only 5 Minutes a Day with FB Live
Do you want more clients?
Silly question, right?
What if you could attract more clients in less than 5 minutes a day?
In this free 5-day course, I'll show you how to accelerate your client attraction abilities into hyper drive.
This free ecourse will:
- Share tips for getting comfy in front of the camera
- What to talk about when you get there
- Inexpensive gear to make you look like a pro.
Sign up now and get the GEAR GUIDE hand selected by a former Hollywood Art Director.